The purpose of the group is to facilitate connections across the multiple supply chains related to Industrial Hemp, from growing through to final products and markets.
The SIG will act as a central hub where interested parties can find and access the depth and breadth of existing and emerging expertise across disciplines and applications, to form new collaborations, develop products and support the infrastructure required to optimise growth of the UK Industrial Hemp industry.
The Special Interest Group will:
- Provide a focal point for a network of experts and stakeholders
- Facilitate two events annually to share knowledge and provide opportunities for members to meet
- Share news, industry insights, calls for collaboration, notices of future events and funding opportunities in a tri-annual email update and via social media
- Build awareness and promote member activities relating to Industrial Hemp.
- Gain interest, and seek to develop links with adjacent and allied industries, such as flax.
- Develop thematic working groups
How to get involved
Join the Hemp Special Interest Group by signing up for BioVale membership and ticking the HempSIG box on the application form.
Membership is free of charge.
Follow this link for more information about BioVale membership and how to sign up.
If you are already a BioVale member please contact us if you would like to join the HempSIG.
Hemp SIG working groups
Representatives are sought to lead and participate in thematic working groups that could include bioenergy, food and pharma, textiles and composites and construction. Whilst these groups will focus on specific supply chain routes, they will also address the cross-cutting challenges core to producing high quality hemp biomass e.g. retting, harvest and regional processing hubs.
The Special Interest Group will be administrated by BioVale and a Steering Group will collate input from members to determine the overall direction, purpose, and focus.
Steering Group members include:
- Helen Shiels, Business Development, The Biorenewables Development Centre
- Mark Blakeston, Business Lead, Grow Yorkshire
- Caroline Broad, Business Development Manager, Clarion Solicitors
- Caroline Wilcock, Stakeholder Engagement Manager, BioVale
Launch of the Hemp SIG at the Hemp Happening Event Aprill 2022
The Hemp Happening event, 6th April 2022, saw the launch of the HEMP Special Interest Group. Organised by SCI and BioVale, the event brought together a diverse range of speakers including the University of York, the BDC, NNFCC, UK Hempcrete, SAC Consulting, FERA, MedCan, Unyte Hemp, AquaPak, SEFF Fibres and the British Hemp Alliance to discuss issues around growing and using industrial hemp; agronomy, genetic improvement, regulation, carbon sequestration, hemp as a functional fibre, processing and commercialisation of hemp.
Join BioVale and the Hemp Special Interest Group here.