BioVale can help stakeholders access funding for bio-based innovation from basic R&D through to investment in commercial projects. Some examples of funding streams that support innovation are:
- THYME project: Staff at THYME universities can apply for £30 – 50K to fund proof of concept projects that address one of THYME’s four bioeconomy grand challenges. Each project must involve a minimum of two THYME universities.
- Knowledge exchange: There is a range of funding support for the transfer of knowledge between organisations. CASE studentships fund a PhD student to work on a project which is co-defined and co-supervised by an industry partner. A Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) is a three-way partnership where an academic institution employs a recently qualified graduate who works at a company for between 6 months and 3 years.
- Feasibility studies and collaborative R&D: Innovate UK will support businesses to investigate the technical feasibility of a new idea. The NIBBs regularly run competitions for proof of concept projects of up to £50k. Innovate UK will co-fund collaborative R&D partnerships between businesses, and business and academia. The BBSRC Research and Technology Clubs also run competitions for R&D funding.
- Bio-based Industries Initiative (BBI): BBI invests more than €200m per annum in annual competitions for research, demonstration and flagship projects. This is part of the Horizon 2020 programme of funding. The Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC) is the private partner in BBI. BioVale is a member of BIC and can represent SMEs in this forum. Get in touch if you would like us to represent your company and give you a voice in how the annual R&D funding of over €200m is spent.
- Investment funds: BioVale is working with a range of specialist investors who are keen to invest in new bio-based technologies that are ready to move to commercial scale.
In addition, there are many fully-funded regional support opportunities that bio-based businesses can access to develop their products and processes.Need help finding R&D funding? Contact us.