Yorkshire and the Humber’s reputation for innovation in the bioeconomy is growing. As a result, there are many fully-funded regional support opportunities bio-based businesses can access to develop their products and processes for innovative growth and commercialisation.
- Access Innovation is a new package of support available for SMEs (based in the Leeds City Region) to develop new products and processes. They can help you to access the specialist expertise needed by teaming you up with a relevant research organisation. The package of support available includes one to one advice, funding and specialist workshops.
- The Biorenewables Development Centre (BDC) offers a broad variety of services. All their facilities are open-access, if you know what you want to do but don’t have the equipment to do it, then they can also arrange for you to spend time in their labs. Many Yorkshire SMEs are eligible for pre-funded projects worth around £1000, through their ERDF programme.
- The BioBase4SME network offers professional training, fully-funded innovation biocamps and innovation vouchers worth up to €100.000 for SMEs within North-West Europe.
- Product and Process Innovation (PAPI) help SMEs in York, North Yorkshire and East Riding improve their products and processes. They offer a 40% grant for equipment that enables innovation (up to a maximum grant value of £20k) as well as expert business development support to help develop funding. The PAPI project is hosting a series of Innovation Roadshows – designed to help your business innovate and grow.
- Stimulating Innovation in the Agri-Food Sector (SIAFS) aims to help food & drink businesses in West, North or East Yorkshire with under 250 employees develop and grow their businesses. SIAFS offers workshops on marketing, packaging, food safety, exporting and sales skills. They also offer a fully-funded voucher scheme (£2k or £5k) for use at Fera Science Ltd. These vouchers can be used for; shelf life testing, alcohol testing, safety testing, packaging analysis and contaminate testing. In addition, they have a diagnostic tool which will help you to identify where your business can improve by being more innovative.
- SuperBIO offers 10 innovation services (e.g. proof of concept, scale-up, innovation capture, market research, feedstock analysis, life cycle assessment, business planning and access to investors), these are funded by SuperBio up to 75%, with the remaining 25% to be financed by the SME.
Other sources of funding for biobased innovation can be found on our funding page.