Yorkshire and the Humber’s reputation for innovation in the bioeconomy is growing. As a result, there are many fully-funded regional support opportunities bio-based businesses can access to develop their products and processes for innovative growth and commercialisation.
- Access Innovation is a new package of support available for SMEs (based in the Leeds City Region) to develop new products and processes. They can help you to access the specialist expertise needed by teaming you up with a relevant research organisation. The package of support available includes one to one advice, funding and specialist workshops.
- The Biorenewables Development Centre (BDC) offers a broad variety of services. All their facilities are open-access, if you know what you want to do but don’t have the equipment to do it, then they can also arrange for you to spend time in their labs. Many Yorkshire SMEs are eligible for pre-funded projects worth around £1000, through their ERDF programme.
- Product and Process Innovation (PAPI) help SMEs in York, North Yorkshire and East Riding improve their products and processes. They offer a 40% grant for equipment that enables innovation (up to a maximum grant value of £20k) as well as expert business development support to help develop funding. The PAPI project is hosting a series of Innovation Roadshows – designed to help your business innovate and grow.
- SparkFund supports SMEs in the Humber, York and North Yorkshire regions to improve or develop new products, services or processes through innovation vouchers, R &D grants, low carbon R & D grants.
- Ad-Venture has funded support including 1-2-1 mentoring for businesses under 3 years old in the Leeds City Region (includes Harrogate, Bradford, York and other areas)
- LCR Supply chain provides strategic supply chain support to SMEs in the manufacturing sector and associated services in the Leeds City Region.
- York Science Park is offering companies less than 12 months old the chance to apply for a year’s free space in their custom-designed start-up hub with connectivity, meeting spaces, business support sessions and expert advice.
- Grow Yorkshire. Support for farming businesses to cut costs and increase profitability – from the York, North Yorkshire and East Riding LEP.
- The THYME project. A project by the universities of York, Teesside and Hull to boost the bioeconomy of the region. Support for proof-of-concept projects, placements and entrepreneurship training.
Other sources of funding for biobased innovation can be found on our funding page.